Sunday, June 24

M-Class

That's right. Not D-class, L-class, or learner's permit: I'm m-class certified. As was rightly commented the other day, now all I need is a bike. So, on to step two. I've been ebaying and craigslisting (is that a word, yet? like googling?) for a bike that's within my pick-up range. Oh, and within a grad-school TA's income range. You might be surprised just how many bikes fall within that field. Go ahead, craigslist that shit (I don't care, I'm making it a word). The best part about it all is that a Honda from '78-'88 that was taken care of is a good, solid bike still. Of course, I'm looking to get a cruiser style (think classic Harley look, but not a Harley), something around 500 to 750 cc's, and so far I'm liking what I've heard about Honda. True, I'm just now getting into this, so there'll be a learning curve. I'm hoping that I don't do the bulk of that learning from my own mistakes, but I think I can safely approach this purchase within my limited knowledge. Of course, any suggestions will be appreciated, if you happen to be in the know.

Finally, if you happen to be the DeKalb area, I'm sorry for your misfortune. Oh, but you should really check out this basic riding course. You can try virtually every Friday evening; they start at 6pm in Holmes 506. They do a lottery to fill any vacant position with walk-ins and, so far as I've heard, every weekend they've had at least 5 spots open. The class lasts all weekend, but each student gets their own practice bike and roughly 6 hours saddle time both Saturday and Sunday. By the time the weekend is through, you get a certificate automatically granting m-class license (i.e. without any further tests) when you take it in to the DMV. And, the class is free! I won't say it's an easy skill set to get the hang of, but I doubt anyone reading DW would have any trouble passing the requirements. It was a lot of fun, and as you can tell, I'm pretty much addicted to the idea of motorcycling now. Seriously, I'm going to get my doctorate in philosophy...what else am I going to do (besides go to Nepal) but tour around the country staying on friends' couches (you can only stay on one couch for so long before it's time to start moving on again).

You see things vacationing on a motorcycle in a way that is completely different from any other. In a car you’re always in a compartment, and because you’re used to it you don’t realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You’re a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame.

On a cycle the frame is gone. You’re completely in contact with it all. You’re in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming. That concrete whizzing by five inches below your foot is the real thing, the same stuff you walk on, it’s right there, so blurred you can’t focus on it, yet you can put your foot down and touch it anytime, and the whole thing, the whole experience, is never removed from immediate consciousness.


-Robert Pirsig

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so does that mean I have to get a couch? damn...

Or maybe it means that we are not friends becuase I don't currently have one?...

Em

6/25/2007 12:02 PM  
Blogger J.B.P. said...

Couch, or other suitable sleeping arrangement...

Just kidding...but you gotta admit, wouldn't it be hot taking a ride with me?

6/25/2007 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should talk to rod about the motorcycle. he just bought one. however, he doesnt have a m-class yet. you would make a great team! :)

miss you!
aw

6/26/2007 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home