Wednesday, March 2

The Eyes as Windows


I picked up Mysticism and the New Physics last night before going to the fraternity meeting. I'd started reading it over winter break and have just fallen behind on my books. So I picked it up where I left off without a problem and right now I'm wondering how I could have put it down. I'm currently sitting in my cognative science lab, where the five other class members are busily finishing up their experiments, and I had time to read about five pages...and write this post. In that short time, I underlined about 12 different remarks. I'll add them in below. Just keep in mind that these are only from five pages and the book is a total of 165. Click on the title to go to amazon.com if this stuff interests you:

"'In the province of the connected minds, what the network believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally.'" - John Lilly(95)

"'The problem,' LeShan asserts, 'is that they do occur...The evidence, and it is here - hard, scientific, and factual - for anyone who looks at it, is not refutable. We must do something about the paradox.'" (96)

"...LeShan postulates that a second reality exists, so to speak. However, this second reality is the reality outside the light cone. It is an 'elsewhere' region and lies beyond our space-time." (97)

"One of the sources of your bafflement [disillusion with the world] and discomfort is that your tonal [the reality we agree upon, a term derived from Don Juan] doesn't let go of your eyes. The day it does, your nagual [the mirrored reality, outside the light cone] will have won a great battle. " (99)

"In Buddhism, acquiring a Buddha nature is akin to finally becoming one with the nagual [seeing the dream-like nature of the reality we see...that the world of the tonal as false]." (100)

"As Pearce puts it, 'Man's mind mirrors a universe which mirrors man's mind." (100)

"In a sense, then, the universe is dreaming itself." (100)

.....and the best remark in those 5 pages....

"The eyes can be the windows to peer into boredom or to peek into that infinity." -Don Juan (101)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home