Wednesday, February 23

The Supernatural Rain

New Orleans has had an unexpected downpour the past 24 hours. It's been nice...I love the lightening and the thunder. In fact, it was definitely something to see last night. Joe, Bradley, Nick and I are standing out front of the fraternity house after meeting. A dozen or more other brothers were out there, too, enjoying the view of the lightning. The funniest thing was that a bolt of lightening would flash, then when the thunder hit, nearly everyone on the porch other than Joe, Bradley, Nick and I jumped. I don't know if it's a mid-west thing (not counting Nick) or a outdoors-type thing or what, but it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while to watch a dozen grown men jump at the sound of thunder.

But I say supernatural rain, because rain in New Orleans has a habit of acting extremely erratic. Not to mention the powers it has to travel through solid material and form deep puddles on normally flat land. But I love it regardless. I was walking with Nick one night and a deep fog had set in to the point you could only see 30 ft. most places. We were talking about sources of power, and I mentioned how much I get from the fog and the wind. Don't cut me off yet, hear me out. You know when you were a kid and, whether riding you bike or out on the playground, you just felt the rush of wind to your face or at your back? It would just fill you with this cold, electric shock that coursed through your body? Similar to riding a car with the top down, but definitely a more intense feeling. Well, that's what I'm referring to. It was interesting, too, because Nick felt a source of energy from trees and the earth in general. Maybe that's why I prefer skydiving and he prefers backpacking. But the rain definitely brings on that same sense of a surplus of energy that fog and wind give.

Anyways, I'm rambling because I've got not much to talk about. Life is beautiful, peaceful, surreal, and somewhat illusory right now, and I couldn't ask for more.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i see that youve finally joined the dark side... *muah* pretty therapeutic, isnt it? even if some random people do wind up reading it...

and about your supernatural rain...

i think the one time that i honestly felt the strongest about my insignificance and was in the most awe of nature was two days before i came to college... me and two friends decided to watch a summer storm roll in from the mainland across the water to the island... it was incredible... the thunder was so close and loud that it was making the dock shake, we saw lightning hit the water not 100 yards away from us, the sound had whitecaps, and although under a covered dock, we were soaked to the bone...

there is nothing like a thunderstorm in the south during the summer... they are so awesome, everything feels cleaner afterwards, and the air is charged...

anyways... as you know i ramble, but just thought id say hi, and let you know that i really miss you a lot

~shelby :)

2/23/2005 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home