Thursday, February 10

Lent

So Joe, Steph, Bradley, Troy and I are sitting around last night to decide what to give up for Lent. Amidst "fast food," "ice cream," "alcohol," and "being an asshole," I chose to give up diet coke(and all cola products). I know it's going to take a toll on my head, cause I was actually drinking quite a bit of it daily and it was also my main source of caffeine. But, I bought some juice and such last night, so we'll see how it goes.

It really shouldn't be too hard, considering about once a year for the past five years I've fasted on nothing but juice and towards the end of those weeks just water. After one week, I'm normally over the headaches and back on a normal sleep schedule, so this week should be the worst of it.

In other news, perhaps insane, perhaps foolish, I'm concurrently giving up smoking. This isn't necessarily associated with Lent, but it's something I needed to start. I don't have any illusions of stopping within the week, but it is at least a start. I normally smoke about a pack a day...a little less normally, but definitely up there. Today I've only had two. I'm holding out as long as possible before I have one, and only have one when I actually have the craving for one as opposed to just habitual(getting in my car, walking to class, after dinner). So we'll see how that goes. For those of you who also want me to quit, here are some things that will help me out:
1) Don't guilt trip me when you see me smoking.
2) Quiet encouragement is the best method.
3) If you're hanging out with me and you see me pull out a cigarette, take into account when I last had one. If it's been awhile(over an hour), assume that I know what I'm doing. If you see me smoke after I just recently smoked, then would be a good time to say, "Hey Jeff, when was the last time you had a cigarette."
4) This will be somewhat difficult. If I'm grumpy or otherwise a pain in the neck, tell me so. Trust me, I don't mean to be.
5) I hope it goes well, but again, I have no illusions that this will be a short road.

But to use a quote from last night, "Come on! We're all fudging on this Lent thing; he's stopping for spring break and I'm not a Christian!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home