Wednesday, February 1

Propositional Functions

Just so you know, I am not foregoing the logic series quite yet. Though my course work isn't all that time consuming at the moment, I am stuck working 30 hours on the weekends, which leaves me fairly worn out. But tonight I'm finishing up a philsci paper and tomorrow I'm looking into this paper I'm commenting on at the conference later this month, and before long these posts on logic will take some very interesting turns. To tide you over, here's two quotes from Bertrand Russell's The Philosophy of Logical Atomism:

"The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it." (p. 53)

"A propositional function is nothing, but, like most of the things one wants to talk about in logic, it does not lose its importance through that fact." (p. 96)

I mean, seriously, I'm going to get paid (someday) to deal with these sort of statements all day...how cool is that...

Post Scripts...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pj: i absolutely love the first quote...isn't that what every conversation we have ends up being like? come home and have some coffee, stat!
AW

2/02/2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger Kinney said...

Hey do you have any good Buddha jokes? I am blogging on the large protests around the Muslim world about the cartoons of Mohammad in a Danish newspaper. All I have are Jesus jokes, if you have any good Buddha jokes I would love to hear them.

2/03/2006 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

QUESTION 1: What does the Buddha say when ordering a hot dog?

ANSWER: One with everything.

QUESTION 2: What did the Buddha say when the hot dog vendor asked him if he had change?

ANSWER: Change must come from within.

QUESTION 3: Why can't the Buddha vacuum under the sofa?

ANSWER: Because he has no attachments.

QUESTION 4: WHY DID THE CHICKEN CROSS THE ROAD?
BUDDHA: Asking this question denies your own chicken nature.

2/03/2006 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home