Thursday, September 7

Tails

Certain flaws are necessary for the whole.
It would seem strange if old friends lacked certain quirks.

-Goethe

What do you think? Should I get a cat? I went to the humane society up here in DeKalb. It's actually a really nice place. They've got a few separate rooms where the cats are free to roam free. In one of the rooms was a cat named Viking, who was 2 years old. He's got some tiger striping, with a very healthy coat on him. He also looks like he wasn't neutered right away, as he's got the broad head and is a very big cat. Not fat, just very thick. I really liked him because 1) he's old enough to have mellowed out some and 2) he was perfectly happy sitting on my lap and kept burrowing his head under my arm to get me to keep petting him yet was independent enough to go do his own thing when I put him down. That works well, as I really can't handle a 24/7 lap cat while writing papers and all, but I would still like a bit of interaction if I'm going to make the investment that comes with owning a cat. But, the question that I really do want a response to, "should I get a cat?", is actually a tri-part question. I don't know too much about cats, as the only cat my family ever had was the most independent, self-sufficient cat possible. So, there are two other cats I'm looking at, both kittens. The boy, Brian, I didn't actually spend much time with (the kittens aren't kept in the playrooms, but in cages you have to get one of the employees to open). The girl, Spring, was really playful. Even though I didn't get a chance to take her out of the cage, she kept sticking her paws through and just resting them on my stomach. No claws out or anything, just kinda kneading my stomach as I petted her. So, the second part of the question is whether I should get a younger cat or the older cat; I'm gone for at least a 5 hour stretch most days, so would a kitten completely demolish my house? And, finally, does anyone know if/what is the difference between having a boy or girl cat? I figure once they're fixed, they're probably pretty similar temperaments, right? Anyways, leave a comment and let me know if you happen across this site today or tomorrow. I'll be going back over to Tails after work today to visit with them again and putting a hold on the cat I like till I can go back the next day to get him/her after I've got all the "supplies".

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

usually boy cats can still be territorial, even if they are neutered, and some of them still spay everywhere... so girl cats can be better for that... if you get a younger cat then you probably won't have as many health problems in the near future and theyll get used to your lifestyle, especially since you'll be moving around a fair amount...

but in the end, just make sure to get them spayed and de-clawed and your apartment should be pretty fine... keep your beer bottle/glass collection on a shelf they can't get to...

choose it for the personality... i was going to get an older female dog and i wound up with a boy puppy... so youll know it when you find it...

hope that helped.... but YES i do think you should get a cat ;)

-SLC

9/08/2006 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only you, Jeffery. I hope things work out better with the cat then they did with the fish!! (I'm sorry that was a low blow...). But yeah, get a cat.

-Em

9/08/2006 6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright Jeffy...here's the deal with cats. As long as it is as cool as Harley, then you arent going to have a problem. You might have a territorial problem (pee-ing on your belongings) but here is how to remedy that: seriously....pay attention and take notes: Take a damp cloth (not soaking wet, just damp) and rub it all over the cat. Then you can rub it on rugs, linens, litter box, window sills, etc...that way the cat knows that he/she is welcome there. This works esp. well with male cats. For the ladies, the incessant meow-ing that my sister's cat do...well, thats just obnoxious. So, get them fixed. if you get a cat declawed, only do their front claws. That way, if by chance, it does get outside, they are still able to defend themselves. Ok, thats all that i have about cats...since my family has had them all my life.

Yes, Jeff...get a cat. keep the litter box clean, because ladies dont like a stinky apartment. Have deep intellectual talks with it...enjoy its company. And send us lots of pictures! :)

...AW

9/08/2006 10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home