Wednesday, December 7

Lucubrating

"It is beautiful to be a seeker. But seekers should one day become finders, elders, teachers. Why postpone that?"
--Lama Surya Das


It's my experience that philosophers are never content with their work. Some fields have right or wrong answers, and it's criticized that philosophy doesn't. I disagree. I think there is a right answer. The problem lies in the question. In many other fields, the right tools already exist to get from the problem to the solution. There are equations, axioms, procedures...but in philosophy, the tools we have to use are such that they just make the question a better question. And, maybe this is just my opinion, but the better the question, the deeper the question. And, to a point, the deeper the question the harder the answer. So by making progress in our writing, we are, in effect, making the answer harder.

But I said the deeper the question the harder the answer, to a point. That point comes with simplicity. The hours I toll away late into the night are not to find the meaning of life or the definition of the Good. No, I'm searching simplest answer there is; God. And that's why I'm never content.

Post Scripts...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooooooh

I get it now ;)

- J

12/07/2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger J.B.P. said...

"When we understand, we are at the center of the circle, and there we sit while Yes and No chase each other around the circumference."

- Chuang-tzu (369? - 268 B.C.)

12/07/2005 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have spoke with the tongue of
angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone
But I still haven't found what I'm
looking for

12/07/2005 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that U2?

12/08/2005 8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes.

12/09/2005 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home