Wednesday, November 23

Through the Veil

God said hold no false idols. I like that, but doesn't quite hold the punch of Zen Master Lin Chi; "If you see the Buddha on the road, kill him." But, then again, we have the classic defense, "Don't kill the messanger." This is normally said by those who wish the importance and praise but not the responsibility of going down the rabbit hole. Me? I'd let the messanger live, but outside of throwing him a pence or two, I wouldn't give a damn. Afterall, if you were imparting knowledge to the world, would you want them paying attention to the knowledge, or you?

So why has my week gone extremely well? To answer one hypothesis, no. It is unfortunate, but I still have not been on the recieving end of any action. For that matter, I haven't been on the giving end, either. But no matter, because luck is on my side. And where there's luck, there's the chance of getting lucky.

It hasn't been all sunshine. Mainly because it's snowing here already and the sun sets at 4:30 in the afternoon. But, I've also been pretty swamped with term papers. While one was in the process of being completed last week, another was in the process of being repeatedly shreaded by the professor. But, it looks like both will turn out well. I presented my epistemology term paper at the conference this weekend. It wasn't a real conference, but it served its purpose. I got the feedback I needed to hone the paper down a little bit, and the inspiration I needed to get that honing done by the first of January. I'm going to be submitting this paper to the Mid-South Conference, which is in late February in Memphis. I'm also going to be submitting it to the Wash U. epistemology graduate conference, which has a deadline around the same time but I don't remember when it actually takes place. I won't get ahead of myself, here, but it seemed to me that the reaction I got for the paper showed promise.

After a lengthy and circular conversation last night, the second term paper finally has footing. As my professor says, I've "left the reservation" with my paper topic, but he approves of it. Just a bit further in the psychological spectrum than we convered in class this semester. But, this weekend I'll be working on that when I'm not serving tables, so it should have a decent start.

I have the logic comprehensive exam next Friday, an in class epistemology final a week from Monday, and my term paper for philosophy of science due a week from Wednesday. Then I'm done for the semester and have, litterally, a month and a half to kill before school starts back up. A wedding and a trip home should make that a little easier to take, but expect me to be very, very bored come the new years.

Anyways, sorry for the lack of good stories or thoughts to ponder. Though, I did try with that whole false idols thing (click the title of the post). Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving! Just remember, during the whole prayer thing, when you start thinking you should be telling God how great he is, how powerful he is...well, God already knows that stuff...and people are hungry.

Post Scripts...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good last point. And, like my mom always said, finish your vegetables! Because there are starving children in Nigeria/Afghanistan/____.

("So do you want me to pack up my string beans and send them to Nigeria, Mom?")

-J

11/24/2005 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home