Wednesday, November 2

The Grump Stump

One of my best friends just created a new website. It's basically a forum where you can rant, comment on other's rants, and read/submit good stories. The title of this post is linked to it, and I suggest checking it out. He just got it up and running yesterday, so its both a work-in-progress and in need of some starter rants.

Below I've posted two "grumps", one I posted and one another of my best friends, DJL, posted (respectively) to give you an idea of the content found. His is a much more entertaining rant, but any writing style is welcomed, as you can see by the difference in these two posts:

-----
[In the Life catagory]
The Catagorization Inherent in Aging
So I was thinking about this tonight, as I sat with my hot neighbor drinking a Killians at a towny bar. The age of acceptence is over.

In high school, there were the jocks, the nerds, the student council, the cheerleaders, the hicks...Everyone belonged to their group. They were comfortable there, existed there, and outside of the necessities of group projects and commonalities in pep-rallies and the brawls with the rival highschool, the groups were indepentent entities.

Then came college. While the stereotypes might have simply changed, the implications of those stereotypes fell away. There were the frat boys, the student government, those going on to grad/law/medical school, the groupies...But everyone was accepting of everyone else. Maybe it was the liberal atmosphere, maybe it was the fact that we were all trying to find ourselves, but it was an open situation. You could adapt, fit in, get along with whatever group you found yourself in. In essense, people hung out just to hang out.

But now -- from the perspective of having one foot in the real world, one foot second teir of the ivory tower -- I see it as reverting back to the old ways. True, it's not so broad of stereotypes, but I attribute it to everyone having "found themselves" and existing solely in thier own realm. True, it might simply be that the real world is a bit less liberal (socially, not politically) than the college scene, but what changed so drastically as to keep individuals from new experiences?

In sum, I'd like to say it really gets to me how people find age 24 as the end of life. They've stopped learning, and further stopped trying to learn. They've stopped seeking, and further stopped trying to seek. They've stopped loving, caring, accepting, trying, living, and further...well, maybe that's just the way things are.

Give me your response to this; am I just jaded and cynical? Or has anyone else noticed this diamond shaped society of stereotypes, acceptance, sub-stereotypes?

Namaste'

------
[In the Daily Grump catagory]
Government should not trump Darwinism
For some inexplicable reason this thought has not been able to leave my mind. Finally an outlet! Here goes:

So in the course of my current job I get to see the inside of the trunk of numerous 05/06 automobiles. They all have one thing in common, a glow in the dark piece of plastic with a wire connected to it. On this piece of plastic is a picture. Now these pictures vary, but most are crude drawings of children. I was puzzled for a few seconds until I realized it was a "safety" release switch the purpose of which is to let you out of the trunk if you happen to be in it when it closes.

If you happen to find yourself inside the trunk of a car, you do not deserve to get out until you are let out.

I mean, is there some sort of pandemic (that word seems to be popular at the moment) of people getting locked in the trunk of cars that there is a need for this release switch? I know many of you are thinking..."But what if children climb in? What if you're forced into the trunk at gunpoint? What if you're drunk at the time?" I will now procede to dubunk these objections.

Objection #1 Children

Fuck the children. I'm sick of this shit. Was there a safety release switch in my parents 1986 Chevy Cavalier? No. Did this leave me stranded in said Cavalier's trunk for hours on end? No. Why? I was never stupid enough to climb into the trunk and close it. And neither were my friends...it simply wasn't an issue. The types of children that get in the trunk of a car and close it are the same people that grow up and as adults get in the trunk of a car and close it. It is my position that the world can do with significantly less of these people.

Objection #2 Forced confinement in trunk

This one's easy. If someone is intent on keeping a "hostage"/"girlfriend" locked in the trunk of their car, they will simply cut the wire to the release switch. So does a trunk release switch help in matters of involuntary confinement? No. Well...unless the confiner was stupid enough not to cut the switch in the first place....but that type of oversight on the criminals part shows a distinct lack of planning...so they will probably get caught in the long run...and the confinee gets released form the trunk...No harm no foul.

Objection #3 "I was drunk at the time"

Yeah...I get pissed at this one. People get drunk and do stupid shit all the time. Sometimes their lives are inconvenienced/ended. It is my position that the second you hoist that 10th drink, you have signed off on any type of protection from your immediate (and sometimes not so immediate) surroundings.

And thats all I got....I'm spent

-----
Post Scripts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home