Sunday, February 5

The 99th Curse

WILL
Do you play the piano?

SKYLAR
Come one, Will. I'm serious.

WILL
No, I'm trying to explain it to you. So you play the piano. When you look at the keys, you see music, you see Mozart.

SKYLAR
I see "Chop-sticks."

WILL
Well, all right, Beethoven. He looked at a piano and saw music. The fuckin' guy was deaf when he composed the 5th Symphony. They had to turn him around to take a bow because he couldn't hear the crowd going crazy behind him. Stone deaf. He saw all of that music in his head.

SKYLAR
So, do you play the piano?

WILL
Not a lick. I look at a piano and I see black and white keys, three pedals and a box of wood. Beethoven, Mozart, they looked at it and it just made sense to them. They saw a piano and
they could play. I couldn't paint you a picture, I probably can't hit the ball out of Fenway Park and I can't play the piano--

SKYLAR
--But you can do my O-chem lab in under an hour, you can--

WILL
--When it came to stuff like that I could always just play.


It would probably be best if I didn't continue on this train of thought, and so I'll stop for the moment. But it's been something weighing heavily on my mind lately, so chances are it'll pop up again.


Post Scripts...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kinney said...

I don't really know what your trying to talk about here. Is it that all of us have some sort of innate abilites that we must cultivate? And others topics that we just don't see as easily. That would be cool (I think), but I don't really know what mine would be.

There would be too many shades of grey across my whole life and most other people as well. There was only one Mozart and only one Beethoven in how many decades?

2/05/2006 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know how to play the piano...not sure what that really means though.
aw

2/06/2006 12:07 PM  
Blogger J.B.P. said...

I know I was being exceedingly cryptic with this post. Especially considering two of the people I can talk to about important matters and understand me more than most had no idea what I was talking about.

I talked with Kinney last night, but when it comes right down to it, I'm not exactly proud of the underlying reasons for this post. I'm just trying to take care of my own demons right now, and it helped a bit getting them into the open by posting this section of the Good Will Hunting script. Anyways, you can see a bit of coherence with the newest post, and I'll probably keep on this line of reasoning for a bit, so maybe it'll flush itself out eventually.

2/06/2006 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home