Tuesday, July 12

Beliefnet.com

This is an amazing website. "People of many different faith backgrounds share this space and all are welcome. Attempts to change anyone'’s beliefs are not appropriate." You can check out the home page and search around, but I've linked the title of this post to their quiz. They've linked up to basically any spiritual text that exists, from earth based to main-stream Christianity. They also divide up their main categories between "religious materials" and "spiritual materials," which I find an excellent distinction. Anyways, it's kept my attention for awhile, so I thought maybe you'd like to check it out.

I also had ASH pick up a book for me at the library today (as I cannot check out books anymore...). It's called Reconstructing the Cognitive World by Michael Wheeler. It was the one I found in the library a yesterday, and I'm pretty excited to keep reading it. There's a lot of great stuff in here correlating a lot of reductionist, quasi-psychological philosophies and those more idealistic (and sometimes flawed in the case of Cartesian duelists) thoughts. Anyways, I'll comment more on that as I get into the meat of it.

I customized my google news site to include two other categories; "philosophy consciousness" and "psychology neurobiology." Anyways, yesterday, under the philosophy heading, I came across an article on Andrew Cohen (posted on beliefnet.com, in fact). It comments on his life and one of his books, Living Enlightenment, which has an introduction by Ken Wilber. Anyways, to sum up and refrain from using any more of others' writing to entertain, he makes a good case, at least extremely close, to what I believe. Even though he denies affiliation with any of the "New Age" stuff, I still saw a few of the "everyone feel better" flaws in his responses. However, it's a quick, interesting read regardless of your beliefs.

Finally, a friend of mine really pissed me off yesterday. She was joking around, but over IM I didn't realize that. However, her comments did have validity, joking or not. I don't really write for others, so like I said in my first post, if my life or my blog bores you, you're more than welcome not to return (I mean this in the nice way as I honestly won't be offended). However, taking Divergent World into a more divergent path isn't such a bad idea, either. Hopefully a little focus will start showing up here and, if not entertaining, at least it'll be more useful for myself. So, in retrospect, thanks for pissing me off (again, in the nice way).

May peace be unto you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm there for that anytime ...

Sorry again :/


I made you a cupcake:

___________
/***********\
/*************\
lllllllllllll
lllllllllllll
lllllllllllll

7/13/2005 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok so the spacing of my cupcake got all messed up ...

I guess that's it for our friendship.

7/13/2005 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hungry for some chili.

7/13/2005 7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, oh fellow spiritual quester

7/14/2005 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home