Wednesday, July 20

Dust and Love and Sweat

"Beneath the dust and love and sweat that hangs on everybody is a dead man trying to get out."

I've received a couple curious, and a few concerned, comments about this quote. MBB pointed it out to me in a Counting Crows song, and it's stuck with me every since (from Perfect Blue Buildings). Contrary to first appearances, it's a good thing. To ignore that we're all going to die is foolish. That's a given. But similar to my post about putting down mile-markers to slow down time, what makes you feel alive is being covered by sweat, love, and dust. So I put this away message up when I go to work-out, because I enjoy the feeling of doing my cool-down with a drenched shirt on my back. To be mindful of the pain of lactic acid or torn muscles, there are few things that make you feel that alive. So, it applies to the love that surrounds us and the dust we kick up when we play, and as I use it, when we're pushing ourselves for no other reason than to see what lies at the end of that next lap.


Post Scripts...

1 Comments:

Blogger Sungod said...

I have to say that it's really a great quote. Kind of all-in-compassing.

7/21/2005 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home