Friday, October 7

Last Call

It's kind of odd, but I don't think I've ever heard those words uttered in earnest before tonight. And it's not just because I'm "a young'in" either. I've been out drinking, nearly-legally, since I was 18 down in New Orleans. But tonight it shocked the hell out of me. First, because the night was a lot of fun and I hadn't realized it had gotten so late. And second, because 10 minutes after "last call" they flipped on all the lights. I mean, imagine the humor of the situation:

Take it you've had a couple drinks and your perception is a little blurred. We've all been there. You're dancing close or maybe just talking close with some member of the opposite sex (since that's about all you can tell through your beer-goggles) and last call hits. You decide to solidify the deal by ordering another round of shots, and then ten minutes later the lights flip on. You hadn't expected to see that monstrosity till the morning hit. Instead of trying to decide whether or not to gnaw your arm off rather than wake up the sleeping beast, now you have to face the sight that causes sore eyes then and there.

Luckily, that didn't happen to me. But it still didn't lessen the pain of bright lights and bouncers imitating the mounted police on Bourbon come 12:01 Ash Wednesday.

No, tonight my neighbor dragged me down a block and a half to Starbusters (linked through the title). It's a college meat market, though tonight they seemed to be running low on everything but sausages. My neighbor is friends with a married couple who are in their mid-thirties. I gotta say, I love hanging out with married couples in the mid-thirties. No, seriously. There's something comforting about mid-life, middle class individuals. They have this sense of reality about them that the ivory tower tries to hide behind the tapestries. When they found out what I'm studying, sure, there was a little philosophical talk. But for the most part, they're not caught up with trying to be impressive (a trait we, of the student debt, fail to realize all too often). They have their jobs, their troubles, their hard days at work, and their faults. But they just are, and accept whatever you happen to be.

Anyways, it was a good day, all things considered. Most of those things are too boring or work oriented, so I won't bore myself in rehashing them. But suffice it to say that life is treating me well. I'm going to be sanding and, time permitting, staining my coffee table tomorrow, and I've got an idea for a slate top. We'll see how it turns out. Till then...

Post Scripts...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I have dumpster dove too...we live in the lap of luxury and yet...still really enjoy finding something free in the trash! We are having a big garage sale soon. We make 1500-2000 bucks per garage sale. We're going to Mexico on this one :-) and I think maybe a behind the couch table is called a credenza...but maybe my term is just an incorrect one used by people around here...if you do find out the correct term, let me know. Always interested in broadening my vocabulary. If you need any info about refinishing that table let me know...my Dad and I have refinished every piece of wood in our house at some point in my life. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding. Happy finishing!

10/08/2005 12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... been reading ruminations on twenty something life??? gotta love that book :)

shelby

10/08/2005 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... how refreshing. This one made me feel like I was having a real life conversation with good ole Jeff... and a friendly Tulanian ramble was just what I needed, since the all of the actual ones are sleeping soundly (the joy of Pacific time!). I'm glad to hear that things are going so well. Are you going to visit us next semester?
-Naomi

10/11/2005 1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better!

10/11/2005 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home