Sunday, September 18

On Brewing Felix Felicis; Part I

I figure to remove as much hype as possible and, hence, not deflate the actual point I've been thinking about, I had better post what I've got so far. Thus, in response to NRZ and Megan's requests, here is part I.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first moved up here, I noticed that things kept happening towards very odd ends. These weren't bad things; in fact, they were the best possible circumstances that could occur. In trying to format this post, I thought I had previously put something on here about the series of fortunate events. In looking back through, I realized I had never actually "published" one that hit on the issue, as, even at that time, I just couldn't find the right words for it. From describing big situations such as getting hired at RT on the basis of a 6 minute conversation with the GM after they had lost my application and, essentially, getting an 80 in a 65 speeding ticket dropped from one cold call, to the smallest things like having a free tv stand, two lamps, a microwave stand, an end table, and a bookcase come across my path, I kept running into the problem that no list of events would suffice to convey the complexity of the big picture. This is because the truely astounding moments happened in the blink of an eye, the effects of which didn't register consciously. However, their cumulative effects far outweigh the positive outcomes of the "notable" events. Here's an excerpt from the previous post, reflecting what I felt, at the time, could be responsible for the circumstances:


8/11/05 - Honestly, the recent situations have been rather "spooky" in the way things have been happening. Is it the positive expectations that bring out the positive outcomes? I've noticed things happening like this the most when dealing directly with people, so maybe it's that I've been a bit more open with individuals I've met; they, in turn, are a bit more understanding with me. Or possibly it's just that, since I don't really have much to do up here and nowhere to be anytime soon, I'm just taking things moment by moment and dealing with them however they need to be dealt with right now.

One interesting note, though, is that this general feeling was lost. It happened about the time orientation for my department occured. After that, through my courses and, a week or so later, when work at RT started, it was as if I had used up all my "luck" and felt as if in a confrontation with Life. Similar to the excerpt above, at the time I could only attribute this to the fact that the strawman 'Jeff' was put in front of me. The introductions and small talk brought out the worst in me, as I always felt I was trying to present the best possible 'Jeff' for people to meet. This naturally failed, but what I didn't realize is that in trying to be 'me,' I was inherently hiding the 'Jeff' that was trying to put forward the best possible 'Jeff.' How hard of a concept is that to ignore, right? Once this was realized, and consequently, I realized that this volition was also not part of who I wanted to be, regardless of how people percieved me, things started taking a turn back to way they were. For the past week and a half, things have tended towards those perfect ends again. It's not as prolific as it was, but it is getting more and more frequent.

So, after coming to one conclusion during the first period of this experiment, and a second one during the off-peak portions, now I have the luxury of experiencing both states within the same time period. This has afforded me the objectivity of not being either manic or frustrated, and, as such, I've been putting effort into finding out the big question; Why?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, that was totally not what I had expected, but I enjoyed your thoughts because this kind of pattern happens to me too. There is a theory that such positive things have to do with biorhythms, I took a biorhythm test on that site you took the rune test on. I think there is a pattern to good and not so good and it looks like long wavelengths of happy and sad and perhaps it is only on the peak days that we can look back and see ourselves bobbing up and down and all around. Even a bling sow gets an acorn once in a while, as my grandmother used to tell me when I felt everything was going wrong. I hope things continue to look up for you and hope to see you sometime in the not so distant future. ~Megan

9/19/2005 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and by bling sow I mean blind sow...ha. No pigs with gold grills here.

9/19/2005 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home