Saturday, September 3

Day by Day

It's hard to say in an event of this magnitude when "the worst of it" is over. And even though the convention center is now cleared, it will still take several days to complete the evacuation of the city and thousnads are still displaced across the country. I just hope, as SLC and I talked about a couple days ago, that this doesn't turn into the background noise of the 30 second segments on the nightly news. The survivors may soon be safe, but their lives won't be stable and out of danger from neglect for quite some time. As far as the conditions of the city as a whole, I can only hope that with time and proper planning, the city will come back with only a deeper history and more complex culture to show for it.

I have heard that several of my friends have taken the offer from other universities to enroll this semester. I've also heard that several of the incoming class has opted not to attempt a return to Tulane once things are back up and running, whenever that may be. I understand that, to some extent, but I also hope all alegencies aren't broken.

The title of this post goes to CNN's "how do I help?" page. Though much of the information on that website is financially based, for those who are still poor college students (perhaps a bit more poor recently), many of the programs in operation are in need of man power, too. While I don't have much to spare financially, I'll be offering my time and encourage you to do the same. Everyone can help out in some capacity.

Oh, and I found out it was the three-star General Honore who started making progress down south.

That's all I really have to write on today. The news programs cover more than I could hope to convey, though I will say CNN is the least "sensationalist" about it all, so props to them. They're also good about covering the stories of hope as well.

Namaste'.