Saturday, August 27

Katrina

My sophomore year I left campus during hurricane Isidore, but stayed for Lily. It wasn't that we were worried about Isidore, but since it was large on a Tuesday and hitting on late Wednesday, that meant a fairly long weekend vacation. Then I also stayed for Ivan. Ivan was an impressive name, but turned out to be an unimpressive storm. But I am more worried now than I was for all three of those hurricanes combined, and I don't even live in New Orleans anymore.

If I were still down there, I'd be doing ok. I'd have made my evacuation plans, or already left, and have made sure all my friends had made their evacuation plans, or already left. Sure, I've given everyone a ring, gotten ahold of most of my friends, and everyone's on their way out. But I still can't bust through this gut-concern over something. I know the specs, what a CAT4 can do to the city. I know the emergency plans for blowing levies and such. Yet, given all this, there's still something in the back of my mind that says the hype isn't just hype. Anyways, I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts over the next few days.