Friday, August 12

Downtown DeKalb

Last night my neighbor stopped by to see if I wanted to go grab a couple pints. We ended up heading to "Lord Stanley's Cup," which is in "downtown" DeKalb. For all it's faults, it was a fairly decent bar. Killian's was the best beer they had on tap, but it was only a buck 50 for a pint. However, there was one (3) small problem(s).

Throughout the night, on three separate occasions and at two different tables throughout the bar, I was attacked by the dreaded deer tick. Now, I don't know if anyone is actually squeamish about these insects, but they're not really a problem in the grand scope of things. If they do feed, it takes more than 24 hours to transmit lime disease (if that particular deer tick has it in the first place, which is only about 20 to 30%). But that can be avoid with even the minimalist attempt at a daily shower. Plus they're fairly large, and I could feel each of them crawling on my arm hair far before they had time to sink they're chainsaw into me.

Now, much like SLC, I have nostalgic feelings for the splendor that is New Orleans. It isn't until you find the hummingbird-sized cockroaches that you know your night has been a success and you've made it to Gritt's before sunrise. However, there is a bit of a difference between finding cockroaches, the meek who will inherit the earth, and deer ticks, who's bread and butter is the blood of wildlife, in the middle of a "downtown" bar. Add that to the table consisting of four lesbians (aged 17 to 33), three convicts (two of whom had the sudden realization halfway through the night where they knew eachother from), one midget (who was probably the most sane one there), and all I can say is that maybe it's not so bad being isolated in my apartment until work and school start up. And no, I give you my word that is not an exaggeration.

However, this experiment in actions and reactions is still going good. I can't even begin to give examples or details, as it's not so much one catalysing event as it is just the general feel I get up here. I did end up getting a job. The GM, who I had an appointment to interview with yesterday afternoon, didn't know I was coming nor ever saw my application. But after a 6 minute conversation on who I am, he hired me, references and work experience unseen. I'll be serving tables at Ruby Tuesday's, which is honestly the top of the line in this town. If the next city was less than an hour away, I would look into getting a job elsewhere, but whether you want to go to downtown Chicago, Northwest Suburbs, or Indiana, they're all an hour away. But, to quote ASH, "a chain is a chain", and I made some fairly decent bank back in Springfield working at a chain restaurant. Anyways, that's my update. Once I figure out how to explain this very spooky set of outcomes I'm getting from every interaction that's happening, I'll write more about it. Till then...

Post Scripts...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd say the midget would be your best bet ... but don't write out the lesbians either. - J

;)

8/14/2005 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home