Monday, August 8

Nomadic Shedding

CJB recently IMed me to check on how life was treating me up at my new place. I couldn't be more content with the way things are working out. I've hit a couple speed tables (Illinois has speed bumps, humps, and tables, all with distinct definitions) along the way, but overall life has been really good to me. I started describing some things and how they're all seeming to work in my favor, when I stumbled across a the reason for this.

It's part of the nomadic nature. While this might not work for all personality types, my nature allows this to be the proper course of action. Along the lines of "a self-generating, renewable piece of art," (Nietzsche) I described it to CJB as if I was shedding my old skin, allowing the flexibility and mobility to create the desired outcome for myself. Dependent on the situation, I've noticed I'm more free to be who I need to be for things to work out.

Some may start wondering if this means I'm not being myself, but I don't believe this is the case. It's the ability to move freely amongst all the different aspects of one's self. While I was perhaps known as the philosopher, a leader, introspective, arrogant, driven, stern, et al. down South, nobody knows me to be those things, or anything, up here. And while I was surely able to be many things not listed previously when I was in New Orleans, it would have been swimming against the established perception of me. Up here, however, I am able to define my name anew. After four+ years of figuring out who I am, I think I might be better prepared to define myself this time around.

Another good friend of mine, EGC.III, once told me that he missed the old Jeff, that he (the old Jeff) was a lot more fun to be around. Though I didn't know how to take it at the time, I don't disagree with the statement in hindsight. But circumstances change the scope of where one can reside within their expansive personalities. Unbounded, I am under the impression everyone's personality could hold pure compassion and understanding, but sometimes life gets in the way. Sure, I am still the onion of a self that is Jeff. I still hold true to the introspective nature and philosophical pursuits, but perhaps there's more than that to discover and start wearing on my sleeve. In short, I believe that, with life as uncomplicated as it's going to get for the next two years, this is the time to keep working on both figuring out who I am and establishing through action that I am that.

Post Scripts...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

in some movie or book, cant really remember, there was some kind of quote that went something like this (like the vagueness?):

"i finally figured out why people find it an insult to be called two-faced. this is because we are not two dimensional. rather, we are a multi-faceted, and we are many different things to different people."

ive seen many of the facets, although not all of them... but in the end... youre a good friend, and youre there for me when i need it (and an excellent hug, i must say)... but most importantly, you are a good person... and you know what you value and you stay true to that... we all have to adapt to different situations... its life

8/11/2005 6:35 PM  
Blogger J.B.P. said...

Good comment. I definately understand what you're saying, and thank you for understanding. It's hard to really get the point across without sounding like I'm tricking people by being a shade...but you took it the way I intended.

8/11/2005 11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you're such a shade. Stop trying to trick me. You're so stern et al that I can't believe you would be anything different. I'm drunk.
- Anonymous

8/12/2005 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home