Thursday, August 4

DeKalb

I moved up to DeKalb yesterday, my Blazer laden with my life. I knew I'd be cutting it short when I arrived, as it would give me about an hour to sign the lease and get things done. Well, I honestly wish I had planned for more time. I'm not saying the place I'm moving into is a shithole, but I did have different expectations than what I arrived to find. I was somewhat between a rock and a shitty schedule, though. I was only up here a half of a day when I came up in June. I was scheduled to be out at Joe's that night for the trip to Colorado, so I had to take off without further investigating more apartments. I wasn't too disappointed at this, though, as I thought I had found an exceptional place and a very fair price.

Some things happened which I may or may not have mentioned, regarding how willing the company was to send the application through the mail and then the mix-up of what apartments they still had available. Most of these instances were negative situations, though because they rented out all the single bedrooms, I ended up with a double bedroom for the price of a single w/ study (about $15 more a month). But, unfortunately, that's really the only thing I still got going for me. The trade off was that the apartment I looked at and was supposed to be renting was about 20 years newer (I'll explain this "exaggeration" in a moment) and free of malfunctions. What pisses me off is that this company, I've now come to understand, are used-car salesmen. Maybe this is part of growing up, realizing that the whole world is this way. Maybe this has dawned on others a bit earlier and the sudden impact of this realization has just put me in a bad mood. But I just can't get over the hatred (yeah, hatred) I have for businesses that make a profit on lies. I'm not talking about the sly, persuasive method of highlighting the positive while downplaying the negative. I'm talking about the lie that the apartment I looked at and the number of which was still on the old lease he had to re-write when I was in his office, it was never up for rent. It's one of their model apartments that literally has not been lived in in the 20 years this complex has been up. Yet the deception that up until two Thursday's ago I was lead to believe I was moving into there frustrates me to no end. Having worked for Housing at Tulane for four years, I know about the maintenance and modernization that occurs within large population residences, and to me, it looked like this company was really together to be able to keep their apartments looking that nice. Then, with my life in a Blazer, my clothes and bike on the top and back of the Blazer, they show me the apartment that took that belief about their ability to run a large population residence and shat it right down the toilet.

Since I'll be living here a year, I'll be able to take a bit of the maintenance and aesthetics into my own hands. And it's not a shithole of an apartment (though, in as close to an objective opinion as possible, it's not that far from potentially being one). I'm not pissed about the condition of this apartment in particular, though, I'm just pissed at the intentional disparity created.

Very much disgruntled at societal norms as a whole right now.


Post Scripts...

3 Comments:

Blogger J.B.P. said...

On the positive side, my immediate neighbor is really cool.

8/04/2005 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,
I just read some old emails when I came upon one of yours... and you said that one day you will write sonnets to me that show how you really feel about love (in this email you just wrote about the existence of love at first sight...) anyway, hope you haven't forgotten about it, and if you have, take this as a reminder! :) I'd still like to know your philosophical thoughts and feelings regarding love! :)

8/06/2005 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, you could still be living in sharp...

8/06/2005 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home