Tuesday, October 11

The Slat

Well, the good news is that I sanded down and stained one of the bottom slats. It was for practice (as it's on the bottom side of the bottom slat), as much as just to see how it looked. The verdict: it looks really, really good. This is going to be a very nice looking table by the time I'm done with it.

The bad news is that "the time I'm done with it" may be a bit longer than expected. It took quite a bit of work to sand down one slat (of 9) not to mention the maid sides, runs, and tops. I'm going to take a trip to our friendly hardware store again tonight to see what I can do about that. I bought one 3-pack of sandpaper sheets, and went through two of them just to get that small section down to naked wood. It was 80 grit, so maybe if I can bump it down to 60 or 45, with another pack of the 80 to smooth it all out. But, in the meantime, it's at least a motivating factor to see how good it will look once the job is done.

Post Scripts...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes steel wool works better than sandpaper... but thats awesome to hear... i just did a autumn centerpiece for my table... im almost as creative as you :)

PS - ive been having mad cravings for your pumpkin bread *sigh*

10/11/2005 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too on the bread

10/11/2005 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffy! Upon reading this...it occurs to me (and to Dad whom I ran this all by) that you need to use a stripping product to remove some of that laquer before trying to sand it all off or you're going to be sanding into the next century. I hope it's all going well for you there in DK,IL. The woman who was called to answer the trivia question on Regis and Kelly the other day was from DeKalb and I thought of you. Take a picture of the table and send it to me or post it. I'm very interested in this table.

10/15/2005 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, Dad says that using mineral spirits to clean up a piece after you strip or use sand paper to get the piece ready to take stain. It dries quickly and smells pretty gnarly but it is great for cleaning wood you're working with.

10/15/2005 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home