Monday, February 12

With Grace and Absurdity

While I was picking up my second to last load from the dryer today, I noticed the mailman was already to the building next to mine. Perfect -- I'll be able to pick up my mail when I go to pick up the last load.

So there I am, on my way out the front door, when something hits me. All the sudden I get this crazy thought in my head that I've got a letter from one of the universities I applied to waiting for me in the mailbox. With rising anticipation, I open up the door and waiting for me inside is...

A very thin envelope from UNC, Chapel Hill. Given, I didn't open it for a few minutes out of respectful observance of cliche'-voodoo-hopeful-wishing, but when I did, it proved the whole thin-letter/bad news pairing to be true. So, one down. The corresponding sticky note is now off my wall and tomorrow morning I'll be putting up what I imagine will be the first of the wall-o'-shame letters*.

Eh, I never crossed my mind that I would get in to every school I applied to; so it's good to have that rejection out of the way with this first one.


* - The "Wall-O'-Shame" is a cathartic tool the 2nd years used last year in which all rejection letters are plastered to back wall of the TA office. Any and all letters are subject to mocking, scribbling, and ridicule on subjects such as diction, grammar, general turns of phrase, and occasionally just random, tangential comments to help bolster the morale of those applying to graduate schools. We'll see if it works.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger BRL said...

way to not tell me. i had to find out by seeing it on "The Wall".

2/13/2007 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home