Wednesday, March 7

Apps Update

An after-thought note before I begin(again): I was curious as to whether this blog was easily found on the net. I don't put too much personal information up here -- then again, I don't know that I want to advertise my list of pending schools to the mass public. So, I googled my name. Using my full first name & last, there weren't too many relevant hits (a couple pings from documents here at NIU). However, using my nickname and last, something interesting occurred. In the first three hits (when viewing the brief blurb down below the title of the address), you learn that (1) I'm a grad assistant at NIU with a B.S. in philosophy and psychology, (2) I was chair of a paper presentation followed by presenting my own paper at the NIU philosophy conference of 2006, and (3) oddly enough, you learn that I was an Eagle Scout (thanks to the Elks magazine). So, I guess it's not a bad thing if people google me. NRZ put up a stumble upon comment about this blog, so at about 8 or 9 hits down, you learn about Divergent World. But it does get very irrelevant before that point. Anyways, just an interesting fact finding mission. What do you learn when your name is googled? Feel free to leave a comment. And without further ado, here's the actual post for today.

I figured it was time for an update regarding my application status. As you'll notice, not too many drastic changes. I did end up getting rejection letters from Stanford and Princeton. Unfortunate, as those were two in my top five. But, as they were in my top five, I knew my chances. I still have 12 applications out in the field, in addition to Madison having contacted me yesterday to notify me that I was officially wait-listed. However, SM, who has been my source for all things political in this application process, mentioned the other day a theory that I think is fairly right-on. She said that, predominantly, the schools we'd applied to have already sent out their acceptance letters and rejection letters; if we haven't heard from a school, we're essentially on the "unofficial" wait-list. Essentially, the schools would wait until perhaps the second or third batch of offers to also send out the official notification of being wait-listed. Of course, it's about that time that we need to know something, so I should be expecting to get the official notification for either acceptance, rejection, or wait-list before too long. Well, without further ado, here's the official break-down.

  • Accepted
    • UC Davis
  • Officially Wait-Listed
    • Madison, WI
  • Pending
    • Rutgers
    • UC Berkeley
    • Harvard
    • Amherst
    • Ohio State
    • CU Boulder
    • UC Riverside
    • College Park
    • Wash U
    • Carnegie-Mellon
  • Rejected
    • Stanford
    • Princeton
    • Pittsburgh
    • Cornell
    • Duke
    • Chapel Hill
    • UC Irvine, LPS
    • UC Irvine, Philosophy
Another one bites the dust. Pittsburgh has just been moved to the rejection pile.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well JBP, You do better than I do on the google search. Apparently there is a car dealership, baseball player, and a doctor with my same name. I need to get WAY more famous to break Google's first page of results :). Good luck with the schools brother, go somewhere that is fun to visit and SC and I will definately come take you poor college kid out to dinner and drinks :P

3/08/2007 6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home