Wednesday, May 18

Regalia

I just picked up my cap and gown today. This approaching change is definitely starting to come into conscious awareness. I think I've been worried about what's going to happen next year for so long now that I have failed to notice that this year is coming to an end. Thankfully, and I guess hopefully, I haven't neglected my friends because of that. In fact, I'd say it's somewhat of the opposite.

There is something very poignant that happens during graduations; everyone builds friction. MBB pointed this out yesterday. It's a tested, psychological defense mechanism for individuals to create friction and, in its more dramatic stages, conflict with those that are closest to them. The end of the year is coming, everyone is going their own ways, the individual doesn't want to have such a strong attachment and longing for his friends who he can't see or hang out with as in the past four years. By breaking down the relationships of those closest to him, he believes he saves himself pain. Well...fuck that.

MBB, in his classic self-actualized manner, has been doing just the opposite (mind you, without drawing attention to that fact). And taking from his lead, as I have many times in the past, this is going to be the ideal ending to four years of sorrow, heartache, absurdities, improv, connections, brotherhood, pain and effort, reward and celebration, and a little bit of academics.


To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the seasons of mist; may each of us walk as a ghost into the fog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home