Wednesday, April 27

Life is more than who we are...

Ok, so here's an update. I talked with Prof. Zimmerman today about my future options for graduate school. Realistically, and I knew this from the start, I need a better record to get into the programs I need/want to get into. But that's the problem with records...you can't really change them. The only thing one can do is add to them and hope it counts. That's why I was planning on attending a masters before a PhD program, to up my chances of getting into a better program.

So after awhile, we start focusing on what sort of programs I could attend to better my record. Truth of the matter is that I'd be just as well off staying here as I would anywhere else. The added benifit is that I know people here, I might be able to get a job back with housing, and I know the professors well enough to know what they're looking for in papers and such. Thus, the 4+1 Masters program seems like it'll fit the best right now.

As a brief aside, I am still waiting to hear from Chris about the Mississippi State job. If that works out, great, but there's no garuntee on that one. As such, I'm going to progress as if that's a no-go, and wait until I hear otherwise.

Back to the 4+1, I would essentially be here for another two years before I got into a PhD program; one year of intense classes, the second of thesis writing and applying to PhD programs. It would be a lot of study time, as it is going to be a waste of money unless I get all A's. But it would also be well worth it, since it would still be an intellectual pursuit. I'd be able to take courses focusing on the specifics, most of which have always interested me anyways. Anyways, that's the update as far as I know. Again, I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home