Monday, December 19

Confidently Arrogant

There's a thin line between confidence and arrogance. In fact, in my opinion, the line is so razor thin that it has cut the ability to be confident out of our society. You may just attribute what follows as me being arrogant, but know this; if so, aren't you agreeing with me?

It all started with a conversation an old friend of mine and I had over a couple drinks tonight. Both she and I are often times accused of being arrogant. While she affirmed the same, let me say here that I fully embrace my arrogance. I'm okay with it. I'd go as far to say I think it's a good thing. In example:

I'm incredibly brilliant. There. I've said it. I might not know about a lot of things -- politics, pop-culture, or where the G-spot is -- but that's not to say I couldn't know. To elaborate, consider what some people describe as the difference between intelligence and wisdom (note: as arrogant as I am, I am not necessarily describing myself as "wise"): Intelligence can be taught, facts can be learned, and degrees can be awarded while wisdom is the ability to do something with that intelligence, those facts, and...well...a degree isn't really worth shit anyways. But, for me, part of my brilliance lies with the understanding of where to find those facts and ideas and concepts. Then the major part comes in lifting them off the page and literally floating them around in the Ether while I play with them, break them apart, or recombine them to create new or better concepts, or at least find out how they're faulted.

So what's wrong with stating that? I know it's a talent of mine that isn't shared by everyone. With the exception of making a point in this post, I don't go around expounding upon my genius to everyone. But I don't hide it just to be considered humble, either. I'm simply confident in my cognitive capacities and utilize them when appropriate. But I'm also confident in the fact that I lack certain abilities. I know I'm tone deaf, I know I have two left feet, I know I am amazingly inept at people skills, I know I suck at expressing my emotions, and I know I have trouble finding the G-spot. I'm confident in these failures. Doesn't mean I won't eventually dance the two-step or perfectly perform the "come hither" motion two inches up the abdominal wall, but I'm confident that, at this point, I stumble with both.

So where's the arrogance come in? Not everyone is confident in both their abilities and lack of abilities.* While I'd imagine quite a large portion is confident in the former, it is the lack of confidence in the latter that results in "confidence" being impossible in our society. I'm arguing that what I consider confidence isn't often seen as confidence, but arrogance. When I'm in a situation in which I (confidently) lack a certain talent while another (confidently) excels in that talent, I see it as such. That's because my confidence in my lacking some particular talent keeps me from feeling intimidated or lessened by the display. But in a situation where one person is not confident in lacking a talent, I suspect they see another's confidence as threatening or gloating of their abilities; in essence, arrogance. While I agree there is such a thing as over-confidence, I don't think pure, measured confidence should be seen like this. By measured confidence I mean a level of trust in one's abilities that is rational given the importance of the situation. I am the first one to admit and, if necessary, rebuke myself when my brilliance (or any other ability I put trust in) goes awry. But, as I take full responsibility for when I'm wrong, I'm not convinced there's anything inappropriate with taking full responsibility when I'm right, as well. And, as such, I'm ok being "confident" in conversations with my good friends and "arrogant" in the majority of other conversations.

* Second-order confidence, or having confidence in what one is confident in, appears to be innate in first-order confidence. However, as it is not a main premise of this argument, I allow that it may be disputed.


Post Scripts...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree... i think the main difference between those who see embracing being confident in an area and even excelling as being arrogance or confidence depends on how self-aware and insecure the person is...

take for example, the person who believes it is arrogance... from personal experience, it is these people who themselves have very little confidence and believe that they cannot excel in areas... they believe that giving a compliment and acknowledging that someone else excels takes away from them... heaven forbid someone be better at something than they... thus they wallow in their insecurities rather than acknowledge someone else's talent or try to improve themselves...

those who are confident are merely more self-aware... they do not hide from the fact that they do something well, and they continue to excel...

there is quite the difference between quiet (or even strong) confidence and arrogance such as yelling nanny-nanny-boo-boo to a loser...

personally... i know my strengths, and am confident in many of my abilities, but at the same time i know i have many different areas where i have great room for improvement and growth... for example, i know i am an exceptional test taker and reader... i can absorb things many times faster than a lot of people... and i innately developed the skill of taking tests much better tahn other people... i get an adrenaline rush doing it... scary huh??? but then when it comes to being around people, i have a long way to go... i come across at first glance as either shy or standoffish... not so great for the business world... in any case... hopefully i can learn from others rather than sulk in a corner and whine about arrogance...

sorry about the diatribe...

-SLC

12/20/2005 12:10 PM  
Blogger Kinney said...

Having a talent is not enough: one also requires your permission for it - right, my friends?

- Nietzsche

P.S. you should be a little less confident in your linking talents as your title is currently a broken link

12/20/2005 12:11 PM  
Blogger J.B.P. said...

Nicely said (both comments). Thanks for the back-up and for putting me in my place regarding my linking talents. I will definitely re-adjust the level of trust I put into my web practices.

12/20/2005 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe also arrogance is being overly proud of something quite commonplace, thus making one seem full of themself. For example, a person bragging about their amazing intelligence when they are citing their college degree as proof of such when undergrad degrees are kind of run of the mill. A degree is an achievement award and is not easily attained by the simpler people in society, but I didn't find college particularly astronomically difficult, and besides, a degree is only a piece of paper in the end. Maybe I'm just intelligent - or arrogant. ;-)I saw a lot of people graduate with degrees whom I would tag as extremely stupid. Jeff, you're not arrogant - I find you to be a stimulating converstion partner...and the g-spot is elusive, hell I can't find my own most of the time.

12/22/2005 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Buddha said we're supposed to be humble.

12/28/2005 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and the G-spot actually doesn't exist...

12/28/2005 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really confident in my chili-cooking abilities. There. I said it.

12/29/2005 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home