Friday, October 6

Who I am...

"We all make choices. What's yours?"

First...I am not Zach Braff. Ok, the nice guy part, sure...and I've heard I'm unbearably adorable, too. But I didn't link this post with the title it has for that reason. No, it's because I must frame what is to follow by starting out with a review of the movie, "The Last Kiss." It's a really good film, one of the best I've seen recently. The acting is also some of the best I can remember. Take "Closer" and tone it down a little on the cynicism (add a little hope), but the movie is a whole is still very intense. And for the very serious subject matter, they still blended in plenty of extremely funny parts, too (the kind that elicit a guffaw out of me, i.e. subtle humor). And not to mention the amazing soundtrack it's got (worth it's own purchase).

Ok, I started this post with a review of the movie because it plays an important part in my mental track for the rest of the night. After the movie, we went to Fatty's, there I realized something interesting; I miss New Orleans. As a tangential pre-excuse, what follows does not mean I don't severely miss my friends for who they are, themselves. But something else I miss is how my friends knew me. Naturally, we all have many faceted personalities, certain sides showing in certain situations. Well, I realized that the people I loved in New Orleans knew a side of me that hasn't been seen in too long. Imagine putting on pretenses for a formal event, and afterwards going out and making fun of the whole thing with friends at a bar. It feels like I should just about be making my excuses for an early leave and heading out to Happy Hour (and maybe catch a movie the likes of "The Last Kiss" at Elmwood, afterwards).

So what is this part that's all but forgotten (and only remembered in the unexpected phone calls or movies such as tonight's)? Well, I have the unfortunate task of specifically not naming it. I'd like to. I like to give you a couple good anecdotes. I could tell you about '&' (twice), or about the back-balcony and the smile JMD called me out on, but the kicker is that none of that would make a dent. Call it a freer (more free?) spirit, better adventures, or just sucking the marrow. The point is that it feels a bit too long choked by the top button. I really can't wait the couple weeks till I'm down for homecoming (ASH, you got room?).


But, outside of this introspective, esoteric look back of my own nature, I do recommend seeing the movie. See it with someone who knows your different facets (and goes to see a movie with you anyways); it's best that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home