Friday, April 8

All it takes is a phone call...

For awhile now my profile has read "I have applications in to grad schools for Philosophy, with a couple still undecided." Well, the one decided was Tufts, with a rejection. The ones I was waiting on were Ohio State, Carnegie Mellon, and Northern Illinois University. It's now getting late in the process and I'd really like to know what I'm doing after May, so I decided it was time to get ahold of the remaining three schools to find out where I stand.

I called up Carnegie Mellon, who had sent a letter to my home address saying, due to the blah blah blah, they couldn't give me a scholarship. My parents told me this, but failed to read the letter verbatum. After I contact CMU's philosophy department, the graduate secretary sends me the "notification" letter by e-mail. It was the same one my parents got. Though it didn't say everything as explicitly as desired, by reading what it actually said I understood it was not just a rejection of scholarship but a reject of admittence. Strike one.

I also called up Northern Illinois University to find out that I had not been notified of any decision because they didn't have all my materials. They're missing my transcript and my GRE scores. The Graduate Chair gives the their admissions department information, and when I call them they say, "Yeah...we have your transcipt and just haven't passed that on to the department yet." The worse news is that they never recieved my GRE scores, because in my brain fried state I clicked Northeastern Illinois University instead of Northern Illinois University after taking the test. So that cost me another $22 to resend that score, to a potentially full department.

The only ray of hope is that when I called Ohio State's philosophy department they said they hadn't sent out all the letters yet. They'd sent out the fellowship offerings and the TA offerings, but hadn't sent the rest of the letters and wouldn't until the end of next week. So that puts me in a situation where I may still be admitted...which is the best news I've recieved today.

No, it's not exciting news nor is it increadibly uplifting...but it's my life, and it's posted. I'll keep you updated on what I hear, though I imagine it'll be another two weeks before the remaining to schools contact me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home