Friday, July 1

The Apartment

This is the news about next year.

I finally got the apartment I was wanting. It was a tough sell to the company. For whatever reason, they weren't in the mood to deal with individuals who couldn't sign their lease in person. Though it's a bit unreasonable when you're an apartment complex facilitating a college campus (and nothing else), it's a little understandable from the legal perspective. So I got turned down citing policy the first time I called. I called back the next day, offering to get my signature on the lease notarized (and a couple other ideas that would negate the reason for the policy). Also turned down. In the manner in which I do things, I start asking questions. I ask a couple right questions, get a couple points across, and the guy takes down my number to have his higher-up give me a call. Never actually happened, but that's not he point. The point is that on my third call, things worked out nicely. I'll be moving in to an apartment complex on the very edge of DeKalb...placing me in the middle of a corn field and about a mile away from campus.

It's a single bedroom style with all the stuff that normally comes with apartments. The reason I was so persistent with this company is that every other place I looked at was essentially a shit-hole. Most were right on or neighboring their Greek row. Imagine Broadway street without the residential buffers between all the frats (oh, and double the number of frats). In my drive around the town I just stumbled upon this place. I took a look at the inside of one of their apartments and wondered around their grounds. I pretty much decided then that it was the right place to spend the next two years of my life. It'll be fairly quiet, but it's right on Glidden Rd. which runs through campus. The front of the apartment complex is the stop for the number 1 bus route, which saves me time and money trying to drive and park on campus. And there's nothing stopping me from riding my bike or walking, either. The town is only about a mile and a half radius from the center of campus, so I could put a little work-out into the daily routine.


We're already planning on Thanksgiving at my place next year. ASH will be driving up, picking up MGS in Cape G. MGS doesn't know that's the plan yet, but it is a good plan.


Anyways, that takes out one of the three remaining variables for the NIU move. One of the two remaining is Financial Aid. It'll basically all be in loans, but knowing how depressing my FAFSA turned out, there should be enough to pay for all my tuition, etc. The third variable, which will be a variable until I get up there, is a job. Hopefully I can get a job in the service industry, either serving tables, bouncing, or possibly even bartending. I can pour a draught with the best of them, and on a college campus I wouldn't expect to many Tom Collins to be ordered. Coming from New Orleans couldn't be bad sell either. Anyways, I've rambled longer than planned. Hopefully ASH is done with his Toure De Levy and we can head to Happy Hour.


In the words of the Messiah, "Da Peace!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home