Saturday, October 7

Unceremonious Philosophy

People always tell me that philosophy is hard to understand or too verbose. But I disagree. Not to deal in absolutes, I will admit there are those philosophers who feel they need to say something several times over to get their point across. But, as in any written work, individuals who feel that way tend not to say anything at all, nor really have a point to tell even if they could write perspicuously. But not to stereotype based on the worst type, I'd like to say what I love about reading philosophy; good philosophy is unceremonious and, with perhaps a tangent of interest, direct and to the point. For example, I'm currently reading about Presentism (a philosophy on the nature of time, stating that "It is always the case that, for every x, x is present"). In the course of this article, Thomas Crisp has a subsection about the change thesis (based on descriptions taken at a particular instant, or i-descriptions, this states that the i-description for me, at-present-ten-years-ago, is naturally different from the i-description of me, at-present-right-now. He brings this up as a metaphysical commitment for the presentist). To conclude this impressively short subsection, he states, "What can be said on behalf of the Change Thesis? Other than that it seems obviously true, I have no idea." And then he moves on to a linguistic commitment. It makes me happy to know that the highest quality of contemporary philosophical writing embodies such directness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home