Saturday, October 28

When it Rains, it Pours...

Ok, I still think that's funny. First, it was a shitty week leading up to taking the GRE on Wednesday. Just a lot of work, lot of prep time, and not really a moment to relax. Then, with all that practice and studying, I didn't do nearly as well as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong; I'm still a genius and all that. But my verbal definitely wasn't impressive. So I came out of that just bummed to all hell, needing nothing more than a pint at the Bulldog or a mudslide dacquiri on the fraternity roof. So after another night of busy PhD preparation Wednesday evening, I was looking forward to a long over-due trip to New Orleans this weekend. And, after packing my bags, taking the bus to class Thursday afternoon, and getting ready for a good friend of mine to drop me off at O'Hare, I get a voicemail: Your flight to New Orleans, departing from O'Hare international at 8:20, has been cancelled. We have rescheduled you on the next available flight, departing from O'Hare at 2:30pm tomorrow, stopping over in Milwaukee, then Fort Worth, and arriving in New Orleans at 11:53pm tomorrow night. Apparently the misty weather and slight breeze were too much for the American Airlines, especially considering they cancelled the flight over 3 hours before take-off in that mild of weather.

Well, you know what they say, when it rains, it pours. (drum-cymbal-comedic-effect-thingy!)

So this weekend, contrary to what you might expect with my previous intentions of BBQs and pitchers, I'm actually getting a lot done. I know, I really should take some semblance of a break soon. But in the meantime, I've got my letter-writer packets just about finished. Since the forms basically all came as PDF files, and not those cool "I can change the fields" PDFs, I'm using my typewriter to fill in all the informational fields (recommender's name, title, etc.). As I told ASH, it really comes down to the fact that, since I own a typewriter, it pretty much necessitates me using it. It took a little while to get to using it efficiently, at first. Considering all 17 of the schools have different spacing and information required. But I'm getting a bit faster at using it. Oh, and I'll wrap this post up with an updated list of schools I'm applying to. I know, there's a hell of a lot on here. But, better to make it an expensive application process once than two costly application processes if I weren't to get in the first time. Anyways, here's the updated list (the numbers that follow the list are the application deadline, then [my preference]/[Leiter's ranking]). Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions to make.


  • Princeton: Dec. 1st, 2006. 2nd/3rd
  • Stanford: Dec. 5th, 2006. 6th/6th
  • UC Davis: Dec. 15th, 2006. 10th/27th
  • Duke: Dec. 15th, 2006. 14th/29th
  • Ohio State: Dec. 31st, 2006. 12th/21st
  • North Caroline, Chapel Hill: Jan. 1st, 2007. 7th/11th
  • Harvard: Jan. 2nd, 2007. 5th/6th
  • UC Berkley: Jan. 3rd, 2007. 3rd/15th
  • Rutgers: Jan. 5th, 2007. 1st/2nd
  • Madison: Jan. 5th, 2007. 11th/23rd
  • Maryland, College Park: Jan. 5th, 2007. 9th/25th
  • UC Irvine: Jan. 15th, 2007. 4th/17th
  • Cornell: Jan. 15th, 2007. 8th/11th
  • Carnigie-Melon: Jan. 15th, 2007. 15th/34th
  • Wash U: Jan. 15th, 2007. 16th/38th
  • U Colorado, Boulder: Jan. 19th, 2007. 17th/38th
  • UMass, Amherst: Feb. 1st, 2007. 13th/27th

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you cant just take off missouri and not tell me. thats not very nice. i'm sorry that about your extra shitty week though. if you'd like to compare stories sometime, i'm up for it. there was a shooting in my backyard...who wins? You'll have to call me to find out! :) miss you!

...aw

10/29/2006 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home