Wednesday, October 11

Plan of Attack

A few notes on notations: The number following the school listed marks their placement on Leiter's gourmet report. This is just a benchmark and not something I'm focusing on. However, within a range of 10 or so, it's still a fairly good estimate. Following this is the breakdown of their specialties. Naturally, I have not included any information on ethics or histories, but only those sub-disciplines that are specific to my interests (for words like 'Science' or 'Language', assume I mean 'philosophy of ____'). On a few of them, I've included some "pluses", which is outside information that would influence my decisions. So, have at it. Pick me apart. If you think I've no chance at a program, let me know...2 points for honesty. If you have any other information, please feel free to let me know that as well. So, without further ado, my plan of attack:

  • Rutgers: 2nd
    • Excellent: Language, Mind, Metaphysics, Epistemology, Cognitive
    • Good: Religion, Science
    • Decent: Logic, Freewill, Decision Theory
    • Minuses: New Jersey
  • Stanford: 6th
    • Great: Language, Logic, Freewill
    • Good: Mind
    • Decent: Metaphysics, Cognitive
    • Notable: Epistemology
  • Columbia: 6th
    • Great: Science
    • Good: Mind, Language, Metaphysics, Epistemology, Logic
    • Decent: Freewill, Decision Theory, Cognitive
    • Minuses: New York
  • Cornell: 11th
    • Good in: Language, Metaphysics, Logic
    • Decent in: Mind, Epistemology, Science, Religion
    • Pluses: No GRE score, no language requirement, in Ithica NY, close to TDZ
  • North Caroline, Chapel Hill: 11th
    • Good: Mind, Language, Epistemology, Logic, Freewill, Cognitive
    • Decent: Metaphysics, Decision Theory, Science
  • UC Irvine: 17th
    • Excellent : Science, Logic, Decision Theory
    • Good: Language
    • Decent: Metaphysics
    • Pluses: New Port Beach, CA
  • Ohio State: 21st
    • Good: Mind, Logic
    • Decent: Language, Metaphysics, Science
    • Pluses: Close to EJR
  • UC Davis: 27th
    • Decent: Mind, Language, Metaphysics, Freewill, Science
  • Syracuse: 32
    • Good: Metaphysics, Decision Theory
    • Decent: Mind
    • Pluses: Close to TDZ
  • Carnigie-Melon: 34
    • Great: Decision Theory
    • Good: Logic, Science
  • U Washington, Seattle: 34
    • Good: Epistemology
    • Decent: Science
    • I actually have no idea why this is on here, now. It might be deleted.
  • U Colorado, Boulder: 38
    • Decent: Metaphysics
    • May also be deleted. Though it's an up-and-coming school with a good location, it really doesn't have much to offer in my interest range.
  • U Missouri, Columbia: >50
    • Decent: Epistemology, Decision Theory
    • Notable: Religion
    • Pluses: Close to AKW, Home

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, youre in the #2 school right now, so I don't see why you can't get in anywhere that you want. I think stanford seems like the best place for you as far as environment goes, I can't see you in NYC or Jersey, to be honest, and although they are large schools, the upstate NY ones seem like they would wind up being a lot like your current situation as far as things to do... but then I've never been to those schools, so there could be tons to do... if its above the mason dixon line (or really, to be honest, north of charlotte, NC)... i just start thinking of cold, gray days with lots of snow... and you know me... i like color and warm weather and blue skies...

- SLC

10/12/2006 4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote is OSU...for obvious reasons! Let me know if you need more convincing than simply proximity to me and I will do my best to come up with some philosophical justification...

-Em

10/12/2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home